ADVERTISE WITH US

 














Nigerian law graduate at Suss*x University Rachael Owhin has been able to raise nearly £11,000 in eight days for her Masters degree by setting up a fundraising page after she was she was turned down for a scholarship Oxford University. The 23-year-old was offered to study an MSc in migration studies at the Oxford University in March but her savings and bank loan would not cover the extortionate tuition fees - a staggering £18,110. She had saved £6,000 herself, and her mother lent her £2,000, but she was still £10,000 short.



 

In a bid to raise enough money, Miss Owhin set up a profile on crowd-funding site Hubbub with the slogan ‘£10,000 in ten days’. She used #Oxford10000 to generate interest on social media, and rewarded people who donated to her cause. She promised that a £10 donation would get a public thank you on Twitter. Donors who gave £1,000 were rewarded with a formal invitation to a dinner at Wolfson College, Oxford.

The page received 197 donations in just eight days, and her total now stands at £10,916 - meaning she can afford the tuition fees. One anonymous donor left £1,002 after seeing the campaign on Twitter. 

Her involvement as a mentor at the Powerlist Foundation - which provides career support for people from disadvantaged backgrounds - also led to a generous donation from Dragons Den star Piers Linney, who is one of the foundation’s trustees.

Miss Owhin, whose mother works for a charity which helps disadvantaged children in the UK and Africa fund their education, said: ‘Going to Oxford is the fulfilment of all my dreams.

‘When they sent me the offer, they told me to apply for a scholarship for students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds.  I thought I had a good chance of getting the scholarship but in June I found out I didn’t. I went to the toilet and cried - my dream became a nightmare.
I had looked at crowd-funding, but I thought it was so ineffective. I needed serious money. I did some research and decided that with the right social media campaign it was worth setting up a site. My sister came up with the hashtag idea in the shower. 
On the first day, one of my Tweets got over 700 retweets - thank god for Twitter. It’s amazing to see how social media can be used for good.’
Oxford had no way to help. I’ve called them so often and numerous times they’ve told me to just apply next year. That’s such a horrible thing to say, to have only one option.
‘There’s nothing in place to support minority students that can’t afford the course. The tuition fees are a huge burden for someone who isn’t wealthy. £18,000, not to mention living costs, is extortionate. Most people can’t afford that.’



Need Prayer?) Call: Olaatunbi On 08179675091, 08067367028 The Apostolic Church Of Christ(Higher Ground Parish): Address:12 Celestial Church Street,Off Igbokoda-Okitipupa General Hospital Road, Okitipupa, Ondo.

For Your Advert Placement, Music Promotion And Information Contact: Mr Oluwaseun at nairayouth@gmail.com 08175479919 or 09039648668.

ADD US ON BBM ON 2BB4ED95

Post a Comment

 
Top